Thursday, September 18, 2008

Ectoplasm: Photography in the Digital Age

Although I can't say I agree with all of the opinions in this article, it had some interesting facts. During my summer digital photo class we learned about the deguerreotype, which was the first time I had heard of it (I am not a photo major), so it was nice to read about it a little bit more. However, I felt like the article kept stressing the 'death of photography' and how it won't be needed soon because of computer graphics and the like. I don't agree with this; many artistic mediums might convey the same thing but all of them are still unique. For example, even if graphics were so precise that they looked like a picture the process is completely different and not every photographer has skills in that medium or likes it. Also, the fact that a lot of pictures are digitally altered these days (especially in the media) may cause people to lose faith in the validity of photography; however that doesn't mean that it is going to 'die' because of some skeptical people.

No comments: